White Mold: What Is It And Why Is It Dangerous?

White mold can be applied to any of the many types of mold that can grow in your home. It can also cause damage to your property and your health, just like other molds. Learn more about white mold and how it can impact your health.

What’s White Mold?

White mold does not necessarily refer to a particular type of mold. Many species of mold can appear white. Aspergillus and Cladosporium are the most common species found in homes. These molds can also be found in homes as gray, green, black or other colors. All molds thrive in areas with a food source such as wood.

It is not necessary to identify the type of mold in your home. All molds have the exact same negative effects.

In the early stages of their development, some molds can appear white. These molds can change their color as they produce spores later. Many molds can appear white, regardless of their age, because their spores don’t have pigmentation. It’s the type of material that causes the lack in spore pigmentation.

White mold can also appear powdery, and blend with other materials, making it difficult to distinguish that it is actually mold.

White Mold vs Mildew & Efflorescence

White mold can sometimes be confused with mildew. Mildew may also appear white. Mildew doesn’t harm materials and rarely grows on other surfaces than those of plants. White mold, on the other hand can penetrate porous materials such as wood and drywall and cause damage.

People often confuse white mold with efflorescence. This is a salt deposit that occurs when salt water seeps into concrete, brick, and stone. The water evaporates leaving behind a white crystal substance that is similar to this kind of mold.

However, efflorescence is not a form of white mold and doesn’t spread or grow.

Look at the affected surface to determine if a substance has white mold or efflorescence. If the substance is masonry, it will be efflorescence. You can also dissolve some of the substance in a little water. Finally, you can squeeze some of it between your fingers and see if it becomes a fine powder.

White Mold is Dangerous?

Any type of mold, even white mold, can cause serious health problems. To avoid structural damage and health risks, you should get rid of it as soon as possible. Even milder forms can endanger your health.

White mold can pose a risk to people who don’t know that it is mold. White mold can cause allergic reactions, respiratory infections and eye irritations. It can also lead to dizziness, nausea and headaches.

You should immediately consult a doctor if you suspect that you or a loved one has been exposed to mold.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *